Friday, March 9, 2012

Chickens for a Project?!?

We are always striving to be more green, environmentally conscious, eco friendly as a business teaching children.  That is pretty hard for me, because it really was NOT how I was raised, but we do make an effort, and I think we do pretty well.

A couple of years ago, our town changed the ordinances to say that we could have up to six chickens in our yard.  Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!  I took all of the preschool down to the courthouse to get our chicken license!


The whole project took over two months and included visitors, art projects, cooking with eggs, field trips to the court house and farm supply store, stories, raising and caring for the chickens, building a chicken coop, and then a couple months after we were finished, someone noticed an egg on the floor of the chicken coop!

 A couple of our art projects

Here are some picturs of our chickens growing up:




 We had visitors come in and show us their grown up chickens.  They also showed us how friendly they were and told us how to care for them.
This was the chicken coop that I picked out.  The chickens were getting a little big.  I had to move them out of preschool and into my garage, and I REALLY wanted them out of the garage, so we started building.




I really liked our chicken coop.  Especially after we put a metal roof on it.  It looked urban chic!  Hahaha, get it? Chic?

The best part of this project was all of the experiences the children had for over two years with these chickens.  They knew which one belonged to them.  They could even tell the differences in eggs.  The children would collect bugs to "sneak" to their chicken.  I hope we have such an engaging project again one day!



No comments:

Post a Comment