Thursday, March 1, 2012

Tip for Feeding Healthy Food without Breaking the Bank

Who has heard of Bountiful Baskets?  What a God send!  Bountiful Baskets is an entirely volunteer lead group that brings produce "to the people" every week in a lot of communities. 

I first heard of it several years ago in a magazine, but it was nowhere close to being in my neck of the woods.  Then guess what happened?  It showed up in my home town in WYOMING!  No way!  My jealousy is over now because it is in my area.

I hope I can explain this well, because, I get so excited about it.  I think EVERYONE should do it!  This is how it works.  On a Monday, you login to your account at Bountiful Baskets.  There are several different things you can order, but we will just stick to the produce here.  You order a "basket".  Then on Saturday, you go to your Bountiful Basket site and pick up your "basket".  It is really two baskets.  One with fruit and one with vegetables.  At LEAST 5 different fruits and 5 different vegetables.  I DON'T mean you get five fruits and five vegetables, either.  You get a LOT!

I order two baskets every other week, because we have to drive in from our weekend house to pick up, but this is what we got at our last pickup:
  • Blackberries
  • Bananas
  • Apples
  • Oranges
  • Lemons
  • Mangoes
  • Spinach
  • Lettuce
  • Tomatoes
  • Cucumbers
  • Yellow Squash
  • Sun chokes
I forgot to tell you the best part!!  It is only $15.00 a basket.  We have fresh produce everyday for my family and the childcare/preschool.  I hope you check it out and I hope it is in your community.  Tell me how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment